Date:    Tue, 25 Apr 2006 14:53:04 -0500
From:    Bishop O'Rourke Library <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Creating a database from XML/EAD finding aids

------=_NextPart_000_03AF_01C66877.F4AF8BA0

I work in a special library and my parent organization is
looking to =
undertake a project to properly organize and index its
archives (they =
were sporadically cared for in the past and we have partial
listings of =
our holdings on paper).  I am researching the options for
carrying out =
such a project (though we would hire an archivist to do the
work).  I =
have been learning about XML/EAD finding aids, and have seen
some =
well-done databases from these finding aids which allow
searching the =
database and browsing by subject heading.  I'm having
difficulty =
understanding how these databases are created from sets of
XML finding =
aids.  Perhaps there is software that assists with this?  Is
there any =
software that you would recommend (the more affordable the
better)?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Melissa Martinez
Librarian, Bishop O'Rourke Library
St. John's Catholic Newman Center=20
Phone: (217) 255-6610
Email: [log in to unmask]
Arjun Sabharwal, M.A., M.L.I.S.
Remote Services Librarian
Baker Center for Graduate & Online Studies
Phone:(810) 766-4210
1116 W. Bristol Road
Flint, MI 48507
Email: [log in to unmask]