Tom and List members, you mostly addressed Eric's and Harry's points,
but I'll address the part you addressed to me when you wrote,

"As another aside, while I normally like the posts that Maarja makes
since they
are normally quite insightful, I think the initial post on the research
card
issue was a rare mistake.  That is something that should have been
handled by
making a few appropriate calls around NARA instead of venting on the
listserv."

If the refusal to renew a card a day before it expires is not stated on
the website as policy, a few calls around NARA is not going to help
people.  I saw no point in calling around after I got back to my
office.  I expressed my dismay in the research room area and asked to
speak to a supervisor.  He gave me the same story as the other two
staff members.  I told him the policy should be stated on the website.
(I'm a classic ISTJ in Myers-Briggs, much more inclined to look stuff
up than to call around, LOL.  Perfectly suited to being a stack rat in
my younger days, LOL.  But I did do my "research" before I took time
off from the  job this a.m.)

I'm stuck, one way or another, I have no card as of COB tomorrow.
Whether I called around or not when I got back to my  office would not
help that.  It's not like anyone would bend the rules, etc.  My point
in posting to the Listserv was to caution people who are outside DC and
who work with researchers.  If I was disappointed in my experience this
morning, and I work in downtown DC, I cannot imagine what it would feel
like for someone who only was in town today and who lived hundreds or
thousands of miles away.

I appreciate your kind comments about my insightful posts.  If you feel
I was venting rather than giving people a heads up, I'm sorry if it
came across that way and that anyone was offended.  I'm human, just
like anyone else.  And, for whatever reason, I don't always have a lot
of faith in problems being sorted out.  For reasons that I can't quite
explain, this morning's experience  just left me feeling really
depressed.  But your comments generally are welcome and I'm glad you
felt free to speak up.

Maarja