Recklessification,
or
How Not to Reduce Researcher Complaints and Avoid Public Notice

Snip----"After the agreement was made public last week, many archivists
complained publicly about not only the secrecy of the agreement, but also
its language, which suggests that the National Archives considers deceit to
be an acceptable tool in dealing with researchers. "It is in the interests
of both the CIA and the National Archives and Records Administration
(NARA)," the document says, "to avoid the kind of public notice and
researcher complaints that may arise from removing from the open shelves for
extended periods of time records that had been publicly available."

"I think that sentence is very inartfully worded," said Mr. Kurtz. "I
certainly did not think that that was the mission of the National Archives
to, how should I put it, to fool people -- to deceive. At the same time, the
concern of these agencies was that there was national-security information
improperly released, so we had to strike a balance ... between protecting
national-security information and having the maximum access
possible."---Snip

Round up the Liberal media. And the Conservative media.  Geez, if only
people didn't know so much they'd have nothing to complain about.

Thanks to you Maarja, and all, for keeping us up on the declassé
declassification debacle. Thanks, particularly, Bruce, for that link to the
Chronicle of Higher Ed. article. Nice to see, at long last, some comments
from Michael Kurtz (whom I only know from his good work with Polish
archivists back in the day) on his role in this affair. Maybe no heart of
darkness behind the actions, Mr. Kurtz, but not proud moments, having signed
those memoranda of understanding. "Inartfully worded?"  That ain't half of
it. Kinda puts the dumb in memorandumb, don't it? Granted, it's not
Presidentialjism on an intern's dress, but it'll do for incriminating.
Pretty odd that John Carlin says he did not read the memos at the time.
Dang, that was a big agreement to leave to a subordinate. What was that, a
Kenlaying off of hands? Hmmm. Mistakes were made, I guess.   No, let me
guess. President Bush authorized Scooter Libby to authorize Colonel Sam
Flagg to authorize the first person he met at Archives II to sign the things
when John Carlin was out of town.  I look forward to the NARA reclass audit
news.  Thank you, Mr. Weinstein, for organizing that.  If ever I, gulp,
wrote anything negative about you in one of my intermittent posts to this
listserv, I hope that it will soon be classified and removed from the
listserv archives.  If that can't be done, and the terms "Bush" and "stooge"
appear in close proximity, let's just call it inartful wording, shall we?

If not so proud of certain archival colleagues for their roleing over, not
to say kurtzying, when shown the instruments(and which of us knows what he
or she would have done at that time and place?), I am proud of one my Beloit
College cohort, Matthew Aid, for his part in making this private public
papers pogrom program public. Here's some background that y'all may have
missed  <http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB179/>
http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB179/  He always did enjoy a good
conspiracy, did Matthew, and the nuttier the better.  Nothing he liked more
than stories of spying, subterfuge, and treachery as precticed by the inept.
Makes me ask myself what I've done for my country lately.  And I have to
answer, not much. Not much.  What happened to my zeal to kick ass and take
names?  What happened to yours?  Sold out for some sense of security, I
suppose.  All those who feel secure, signify by saying nothing and hiding
under your desks. See you there. Bring your own cheese.

Your Pensive Pen-pal,

Michael "Don't Much Write 'em Like That Anymore" Tarabulski

International Jazz Collections
530 S. Asbury Street, Suite 4
Moscow, ID 83843
Phone: 208-885-3873