The state of Illinois has a similar project, called the Illinois Digital
Archives, hosted by the Illinois State Library (see
http://www.idaillinois.org/ ). It also uses CONTENTdm as a platform.
We're currently submitting scanned copies of memoirs from our oral
history collection to IDA, using the CONTENTdm acquisition station. The
interface is a fairly straightforward Dublin Core derived
fill-in-the-fields system. The process for administering authority
control and building an index seems awkward at first, but is easy enough
to get used to. Queuing and uploading digital objects is easy enough,
but large files choke it up a bit. The system has good search features,
and there are some neat bells and whistles like downloading favorite
items and exporting them to PowerPoint -- and EAD can be built into the
system, I'm told.

Thomas J. Wood
Archivist
Archives/Special Collections LIB 144