list at the security desk to enter. (Please note the new RSVP contact.)

See you in May!

Disaster Preparedness
Thursday, May 18, 2006

Disaster plans. Do you have one? Is yours sitting on a shelf gathering
dust? Have you updated your plan to account for staffing changes? Do you
even know where your binder of information is these days? We all know that
we should have one, but how many of us have really done anything about such
plans recently? In light of recent disasters, such as Hurricanes Katrina,
Rita and Wilma, SAA has instituted May 1 as MayDay for “Saving Our
Archives” (http://www.archivists.org/mayday/MayDayActivityList.pdf).  It is
an opportunity for archivists to stop and prepare for a possible disaster
by taking the time to do something that day to help protect our
collections. It can be as simple as looking over and updating a plan,
checking your stack areas for potential problems, or locating fire exits
and checking your fire extinguishers. Inspired by this idea, this month we
are pleased to have three local conservators speak to us about disaster
preparedness.

Their presentation will cover such topics as the elements of a written
disaster plan, prevention and physical preparedness, recognition and safe
handling of moldy collections, salvage steps for specific materials, and
working with vendors to recover after a disaster.  There will be a
demonstration of handling and salvage techniques for wet materials, and
time will be given to questions from the audience.

Alexis Hagadorn is the Head of Conservation for the Columbia University
Libraries.  She received an M.S.L.S. with an Advanced Certificate in
Conservation from the Columbia University School of Library Service, and
has experience in disaster planning and large-scale disaster response
through her work in university libraries.  Currently, she is representing
Columbia in the process of disaster response planning for the Research
Collections and Preservation Consortium (ReCAP), a high-density collections
shelving facility.

Laura McCann serves as Conservation Librarian in the Barbara Goldsmith
Preservation and Conservation Department at NYU’s Division of Libraries
since March 2006.  Prior to coming to NYU she was the Deputy Director and
Paper Conservator at the New York City Municipal Archives, where she was
responsible for compiling and editing the disaster plan.  In 2000 she
updated the Metropolitan New York Library Council (METRO)’s disaster
planning and response publications. She has participated in the American
Institute for Conservation’s Disaster Response Task Force and Heritage
Preservation’s Emergency National Task Force Alliance for Response
Initiative. Laura has a Master’s Degree in Paper Conservation from
Camberwell College of Arts in London.

Barbara Rhodes has been the conservator for the American Museum of Natural
History Library since 1987; prior to accepting this position, she was
Special Collections and Maps Librarian at Oklahoma State University from
1980 to 1983.  She graduated from the Columbia University School of Library
Science program for Preservation/Conservation of Library and Archival
Materials in 1986 with a Certificate of Advanced Librarianship.  She also
has an M.S.L.S. from the University of Kentucky (1978), and a B. A. from
Hood College (1977).

Co-Sponsored by:
The Columbia University Libraries and the Archivists Round Table of
Metropolitan New York, Inc.

Date:
Thursday, May 18, 2006

Place:
Room 523 Butler Library, Columbia University
535 W. 114th St. b/t Broadway and Amsterdam

Time:
5:30 - 6:30 pm	Social
6:30 - 8:00 pm  Program

Directions:
Subway: 1 train to 116th Street/Columbia University
Bus: M4, M60, or M104 to 116th Street and Broadway or M11 to 116th and
Amsterdam Ave.
Enter the campus at 116th Street and walk half way across College Walk.
Butler Library will be the large rectangular building to the South.  Pass
the security desk, turn right and take the elevators to the 5th floor.
Turn right out of the elevator and follow the hallway to room 523.

Fee:
$4   Members
$6   Non-members

RSVP:
To Leilani Dawson by Friday, May 12, 2006 [log in to unmask]
(recommended) or telephone:  (718) 222-4111 x295. Please be reasonably sure
that you can attend before responding. Your name must be on the list at the
security desk to enter.

If you are person with a disability and need reasonable accommodations to
attend this meeting, please contact Jocelyn Wilk at (212) 854-1338 at least
7 days in advance so that we can make the appropriate arrangements.