NARA appears to have taken note of my problem in trying to renew my
research card last week, which is good.  I see that NARA has posted new
information on its website, as I had suggested.  See
http://www.archives.gov/research/start/researcher-card.html .  As you
read the instructions, you will see a newly added paragraph stating
that:

"Using, renewing, or replacing your research card

Your research card must be presented during each research visit.

Your research card will be valid for one year.

For security reasons, we request that you do not attempt to renew the
card until it has actually expired. You can renew or replace your
research card on your next research visit. Please do not come in
advance of the expiration date solely to renew a research card.

If you forget or lose your research card, talk to the staff when you
arrive on your next research visit. Please do not come in advance of
your next research visit solely to replace a lost research card.

Procedures for replacing your research card vary slightly at different
facilities."

Having done due diligence and checked this website last week, I then
saw nothing that told researchers not to try to renew their cards
early.  NARA has now posted the necessary information, as I suggested
on the Archives List last week, and I hope others will not be
blindsided the way I was.  I would like to see NARA have a policy
permitting renewal of cards starting 30 days in advance of their
expiration.  I still have trouble understanding why a single day made
so much difference, but, that's the way it is, I suppose.  I have to
say,  having worked both sides of the fence (NARA reference archivist
and now a Federal researcher), had I still been a NARA employee, I
would have used discretion and renewed for a member of the public last
week a researcher card that expired the next day.  But, people differ
in how they view these things and it was not to be.  I don't know when
I will have a chance to renew my card.

Also, I've looked further into the issue of copier use.  In addition to
the usual brief usage, first come, first served self serve copiers,
NARA also has some reservation-only one hour and all day copiers
available.  However, coming out to Archives II to xerox a single item,
albeit a long one, is a bit daunting for me, especially as I have to
rely on the shuttle and generally  have little flexibility in my
schedule. So, I have to think about how and when to accomplish that.

At any rate, it's good to see that NARA was responsive to one of the
issues I raised on the List and that it posted this week an explanation
of its renewal policies on its website.

Maarja