Hi list!

I'm assisting a professor here at Duquesne University in preparing a
manuscript for submission to the Duke UP and he wants to put a few
political cartoons from the 1930s into the manuscript. We've run into a
few problems on this front re: intellectual property rights and I was
wondering if any list members could answer the biggest sticking point in
our work.

The big question seems to be: who owns the rights to political cartoons
that appeared in newspapers no longer in print (like The Brooklyn Eagle,
for instance)I seem to remember from my archives classes that in cases
like this that the rights reverted back to the cartoonist and if he was
deceased, then to his estate.

If any list members could confirm this (or set me straight) off-list, I'd
be very grateful.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

Josh Britton
MA History-AME
Duquesne University