Dear List,

It has been brought to my attention that my use of the term “misguided soul” in my query regarding removing call number sticker from an early 20th century paperback caused umbrage.  I honestly was not using the term in a derogatory manner, but can see where it could be interpreted as such.  Here is the text of my reply to the individual that took umbrage at my words:

I do sincerely apologize for my words that came across as name-calling to you.  Definitely not my intent.  I am an archivist, a librarian and a cataloger, and thus am aware that applying call-number stickers to materials is standard practice.  I’m sure the individual was following guidelines and the directions of his/her supervisor as established at this institution.  He or she was guided, but still mis-guided in my mind as the guidance he/she received didn’t account for the effect of placing the call number sticker where he/she did.  General library cataloging practices have typically and historically not recognized the value of the information contained on printed covers, maps and such inside on the endpapers, etc., and thus have frequently obscured such information through the unfortunate placement of stickers, card pockets and the like.  No question the catalogers and probably assistants are following set procedures and time-honored practices.  No question.  Are those set procedures mis-guided, in my opinion yes, for a variety of reasons, one of which I have expressed above.

I send my apologies to the list as a whole.  I did not intend insult.  My words were generated out of frustration, concern and a bit of despair.

Sincerely,

Lori N. Curtis

Lori N. Curtis, Archivist

Department of Archives and Special Collections

University Libraries

Loma Linda University

11072 Anderson Street

Loma Linda  CA   92350