Registrations for the 2006 ACA INSTITUTE and the 2006 ACA WORKSHOPS are well underway!  There is still some room available in each event so we encourage you to register soon to secure your spot!

Registration Deadline:  May 19th

The Institute and Workshops are being held on June 26-27th at Memorial University in St. John’s, Newfoundland.  The list of tremendous pre-conference professional development opportunities you have to choose from includes:

2006 ACA INSTITUTE

Archives in the Wake of Hugh Taylor:  Shaping Archival Programmes for the 21st Century

Leaders are Terry Cook & Tom Nesmith

Monday, June 26 & Tuesday, June 27 from 9:00am to 4:30pm each day

Drawing on Taylor's imaginative insights and on the work of many others, the Institute will provide an overview of how archiving could be conceived and done in new ways.  The Institute will focus on 4 "bridges" or "probes," as Taylor might have also called them:

1) On what new understandings of archival work can we drawn to shape our programmes more effectively for the varied challenges we face?

2) What's next for the pivotal function of appraisal?

3) Where might we go with both the new thinking about and new opportunities for description?

4) How can we kick-start practical electronic archives programmes to bring archives more fully into the computer age?

2006 ACA WORKSHOPS

Awareness and Advocacy

Instructors:  Christina Nichols & Lois York

Tuesday, 27 June 2006 from 1:00pm to 4:00pm

This 1/2-day workshop, based on the Awareness Kit developed by the Canadian Council of Archives, will provide participants with the tools to communicate this evidence to legislators and media.

Law and Original Order: Legal Aspects of Archives

Instructor:  Loryl MacDonald

Monday, 26 June 2006 from 9:00am to 4:00pm

This 1-day workshop will provide an awareness of legal issues that may arise in the course of archival activities, as well as the ethical obligations of acquisition/accessioning, appraisal, and access/reference services.

Just Scan It All!  Making Archival Holdings Available Online

Instructors:  Paul Maxner & Lois Yorke

Tuesday, 27 June 2006 from 9:00am to 4:00pm

This 1-day workshop will explore issues around project design and management such as identifying audiences and objectives; selecting themes and content; determining equipment requirements; designing and managing the budget; controlling production flow; anticipating crises.

For registration forms and more information on the 2006 ACA INSTITUTE, please visit http://www.archivists.ca/prodev/aca_institute.aspx

For registration forms and more information on the 2006 ACA WORKSHOPS, please visit http://www.archivists.ca/conference/prog_speakers.aspx.

If you have questions, please feel free to contact Denise Jones ([log in to unmask]) or the ACA Office ([log in to unmask]).