No archival organization is obligated to give up a collection to another
organization simply because the other organization feels it should be
there.   If your mission and
purpose encompasses these collections, retain them.   You could permit
the other
organization to provide OCLC or provision records which would point user
to you.

We've had similar questions here.   After forty years as a regional
history center, there
have emerged some new historical societies as well as new local
libraries.   A number
of these have contact me over time and said they exist now, so I should
send them
our collections about their area.    Some have not a clue on how to
preserve materials, how to catalog archival collections, have no
research facility or hours.

I usually try to work with them, trying to encourage a collegial
relationship rather than an all or none.   Sometimes that works.   Other
times it doesn't.   I try to convey that
the organization needs to think about what programs it wants to
concentrate its limited resources into.

Your question is not an easy one as organizations will change their
mission over and
over.....expanding them when times are good, and restricting them with
times are hard.

Dean

Dean DeBolt
University Librarian, Special Collections
John C. Pace Library, University of West Florida
11000 University Parkway
Pensacola, FL  32514-5750
850-474-2213