A few years back, when I was running a medium-sized public library archives, we had many local organizations that had deposited their records with us.  One such organization, a chapter of a large women’s lineage organization, had their records deposited with us and their officers would routinely want to “borrow” some of the records.  My predecessor let them do this, even so far as allowing them to go into the vault/stacks area and pull the records and take home an item, folder, or box at their convenience.  I promptly ended this practice by having the door to the stacks locked at all times.  When complaints arose, I contacted the national office of the organization and secured a deal with them that their chapter officers could view and photocopy any materials they wanted in the presence of myself or my staff, but the records were not to leave the archives for any reason.  Quid pro quo, I agreed to return to them any memorabilia present in any future accretions or collections of the personal papers of chapter members, which happened often, and I happily complied.

On another occasion, a chapter of yet another woman’s lineage organization wanted their records returned to them.  I had a deed of gift form from a former president of their chapter that clearly said the records now belonged to the public library archives.  Attorney-to-attorney contact ensued and the records remained where they were.

So I think good communication with those who make the rules for the organization and good legal paperwork are necessities in such situations.

Russell D. James, M.A.

MLIS student

Louisiana State University

Professional portfolio http://www.geocities.com/russelldjames