Dear Listserv,

In our collection we have several thousand letters
from our founder written illegally from prison and
later from Dachau from 1941-1945.  The work of the
prisoners was to glue this paper into paper bags--our
founder found another use for it.  The paper is of
poor quality and the pieces are tiny--as you can
imagine--so as to be easily smuggled out of prison.
He also used other paper he found or received.

I am looking for a way to best preserve these letters.
I found a company that makes envelopes or sleeves out
of pergamin--that translucent, parchment-like material
that is often found between leaves of a photo-album or
as negative sleeves.  The company claims them to be
made of 100 percent pure cellulose, bleach and
acid-free and to have passed the PAT test.  They are
meant for photos.

I am thinking of using these for my letters, because I
can see through them enough to identify a letter
without having to touch it, because they breathe more
than plastic/Mylar/polypropylene options and because
they are cheap, besides having the above features
listed by the company.

HOWEVER, a company representative said she does not
believe they are meant for permanent storage of paper.

Here`s the question--can anyone tell me why not?  What
would be the disadvantage?  Can anyone suggest a
better solution?

Thanks sincerely,

Sr. Annamaria Stadick
Archivist