Error during command authentication.

Error - unable to initiate communication with LISTSERV (errno=10061, phase=CONNECT, target=127.0.0.1:2306). The server is probably not started. LISTSERV - ARCHIVES Archives - LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

To do this yourself without purchasing specialized equipment, you need a computer with a sound card (most newish computers have one authomatically - otherwise you might need to purchase one - not very expensive).  Then it is a matter of getting a stereo cable to go from the output jacks on the tape player to the stereo input jack of your computer's sound card.  Most computers have a mini jack, and most reel-to-reel players have the big jack, so you might need to pick up some adapters (any electronics place like Radio Shack) if you can't find the exact right cable.  Then it is just a matter of playing the tapes while the computer records them digitally.  I have had some problems in the past with a computer being too sensitive and the volume levels being too loud, which I couldn't adjust properly with the player controls.  In that case, I purchased a stand-alone equalizer so I could adjust volume levels down and eliminate clipping.

There are various softwares out there - I have used Sound Forge by Sony, which has a lot of pretty high-end features - many of which relate to creating and adding new sounds and effects, which I haven't used. I can recommend it, but depending on your budget, Sound Forge might be a bit pricey.  There are others, and there might be some free versions of softwares - I know even Sound Forge comes with a more limited version.  I think this has come up on this list before, and others may have recommendations for other softwares.  A Google search comes up with a gaggle of hits - I just haven't used any of those, so I can't say one way or the other if they are any good.

WARNING: Sound files are addictive!  You might find yourself actually listening to them as you are checking sound levels, etc.

Best of luck,

Leah

Leah Prescott
Assistant Archivist
Research Library
The Getty Research Institute
1200 Getty Center Drive, Suite 1100
Los Angeles, CA  90049-1688
(310) 440-6900 x4846

>>> Elizabeth Tobey <[log in to unmask]> 05/09/06 8:10 AM >>>
Dear All,

I am working as a Project Coordinator for the College of Education at the
University of Maryland on researching and writing an online history of the
College.  One of the retired faculty members lent us some old reel-to-reel
tapes of lectures by former faculty that we would like to digitize so that
we can include sound clips on the websites. We don't have the budget to be
able to send the tapes out to be digitized, so I have to figure out how to
do this myself.  I have the tapes and a working reel-to-reel player, but so
far, have not figured out what software/hardware I need to be able to
digitize these.  Do you have any suggestions on how this can be successfully
done?

Best,

Liz Tobey, Project Coordinator
Landmarks and Legacies History Project