Yes--you're in luck!

The National Archives Pacific Region-San Francisco worked with Gryphon Industries in Canada to custom-design just such a oversize/cartographic records cart in 2005.  (Unfortunately, I didn't file for a patent--a patent absurdity).

Now that the design has been established, I think they're interested in selling it to other interested archives.

We had the exact problem you're describing, especially getting through the narrow door to our research room, not to mention stack aisles, etc. so this cart is designed with a "U" shape that will do it and hold the OS records safely.  I think it's around 20"wide x 60" long. Anyway, we love it and use it all the time.

We got ours in August 05, and the price quote then was $900, around $200 shipping to SF.  This was much less than we were expecting.

We told the other NARA regional archives about it but institutional memory being sieve-like, I don't believe anyone but us ever ordered one.

I don't have the email for Gryphon Industries, but the person I worked with on it is Dean Phillips at 519-763-9590, fax 519-824-9294.  Sometimes it's hard to get them live on the phone and they don't seem to have voicemail.

Gryphon Industries is located at 340 Edinburgh Road N. #2, Guelph, Ontario, Canada N1H  7Y4.

Since I won't be getting any bucks off it though I did  the initial clumsy drawing, maybe they can name it the "Nealand Memorial Oversize Records Fit Through Narrow Doorways Cart."  Then again, probably not. But if you mention the scenario above, they should recall it and be very amenable to working with you.  If you mention my name, there will be an additional $2 surcharge...er discount.

We were supposed to provide them with feedback on how well the cart works (really really well!), but have been too busy with the hectic daily rigamarole here to do it so far.

Hope you find the main info and the cart useful, and that other archives will too.

Daniel Nealand, Director

Archival Operations

National Archives and Records Administration

Pacific Region- San Francisco

1000 Commodore Drive

San Bruno, CA 94066

ph 650-238-3478 fax 650-238-3510

em [log in to unmask]

>>> Kelly Drake <[log in to unmask]> 05/09/06 11:43AM >>>

Hello,

We’re looking to build/buy a cart for moving large but fragile, flat files through narrow doorways. The idea solution seems to be a cart with a supported curved top.  Does anyone know of any vendors who sell these or if you have constructed custom carts, what sizes have worked best?

Kelly S. Drake

Associate Director of Collections Access

Collections and Research Department

Mystic Seaport

The Museum of America and the Sea

75 Greenmanville Ave PO Box 6000

Mystic, Connecticut 06355

(860) 572-0711 x5065

email: [log in to unmask]

website: http://www.mysticseaport.org/library/home.cfm

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information contained in this message is legally
privileged and confidential information intended for the use of the individual or
entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or
the employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that any release, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this
error, please notify the author immediately by replying to this message and delete
the original message.
Thank you