I cannot resist. Some years ago on one of the occasions my advice was sought re a time capsule, I too learned that use of a coffin / grave vault was planned.  Of course, they would not be dissuaded.  Part of my just slightly cynical and tongue-in-check advice was to be sure to include a VCR, CD player, etc. so that all the various obsolete media could be accessed.  (I also learned that the local high school band was to play at the dedication / interment.  -  very sorry I missed that!)

Seriously, the best advice, if it must be done, put it in an interior wall of the lobby behind a nice bronze plaque.  There at least it will have the benefit of whatever environmental protection is afforded by the building, won't be subjected to ground water, etc., and they will have a decent chance of finding it.  - Vernon Will

Vernon Will
Senior Conservator,
Archives / Library Preservation
Curatorial & Collections Management Services Department
Collections, Historic Preservation, and Statewide Outreach Division
The Ohio Historical Society
1982 Velma Avenue
Columbus, Ohio  43211-2497

tel:    (614) 297-2591