Dear Colleagues,
I have a couple of loose leaf ledgers that I'm trying to open up, in
order to remove the sheets, but  I've become stymied as to how to get
them open.  They are from the early 1950s, judging from the dates on the
ledger sheets.  One was manufactured by the Blank Book Co. of Holyoke,
MA (catalog number 8141), and the other was manufactured by
GoldsmithBros printers, of New York City (No. A-911-W).  They are
similar in construction.  The pins are attached to a device that
involves some sort of expansion mechanism (the pins appear to separate
in the middle); the covers are attached to this mechanism by a hinge, so
the pins are not visible when the ledger is closed.  The expanding
mechanism has a slot on the bottom that looks like it requires a key (on
the Blank Book one), or a special hex wrench, or nut driver (on the
GoldsmithBros one), to facilitate the expanding process, and it's all
encased in a steel spine so it's impossible to see what is actually
going on with the expanding mechanism.  If anyone has any experience
with these kinds of ledgers, or can suggest a place to get more
information, I'd appreciate any help.  If you want to contact me off
list, I'll try and give a more detailed description, or send a
photograph.  Thanks.

Mark

--
Mark Maniak