I read through lots of stuff and still didn't "get it" until I did it.
So, I found a cheap place that posts podcasts, generates the RSS feeds,
and serves the file in a streamed format, all for $5.00/month. Prices
vary by what you want to do with it and I still haven't gotten a reply
about institutional pricing, but for a testing ground I think it works.
They also invite you to post for free demo how it works. See Liberated
Syndication,  https://www.libsyn.com.

Jim Rible, Systems Librarian
Hannon Library
Southern Oregon University
Ashland, Oregon 97520
541/552-6821
541/552-6821

>>> Georgen Charnes <[log in to unmask]> 05/16/06 10:05 AM >>>
Okay, this is probably a stupid question, but how does one get started
on
posting podcasts?

I mean, say I have a mp3 or a wav  audio file, and I want to put it on
my
website. If I just put the page linked to the file, up on the server,
it
automatically opens windows media player (see, I tried it
http://www.nha.org/digitalexhibits/podcasts.html). But this doesn't
have
anything to do with itunes or ipods, so is it a "podcast?" So my
questions
are: How do "podcasts" differ from just having an audio file on your
website? and What is the benefit of doing the itunes/ipods format vs.
this
simple link?

Can anybody orient this outdated person?

Georgen, whose expiration date is past in Nantucket

Society of American Archivists, www.archivists.org.
For the terms of participation, please refer to

To subscribe or unsubscribe, send e-mail to
                    *or*:  UNSUB ARCHIVES