From: Archives & Archivists [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf
Of Richard L. Hess
Sent: Wednesday, May 17, 2006 11:39 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Sokolow audio query

At 11:15 AM 5/17/2006, Sokolow, Daniel wrote:

>Thanks for the advice (and to everyone else who responded.)
>
>One further question, Andy.  What are the long-term preservation
>prospects for such disks?

As I understand it, bleak. These are considered high-risk artifacts.

However work at, I believe, Stanford University, is showing promise
in being able to play scans of grooved media.

>  Is it pointless to even save the disks if they cannot be
> played?  My storage conditions here are far from ideal, and I
> presume that's only going to make any problems worse.  I might be
> able to contract out higher-quality storage, but is there a point,
> beyond artifactual, of keeping disks I can't use?

My philosophy is that the content is more important than the carrier
in many/most instances. Obtaining professional cleaning and transfers
is key to saving the contents.

One of the best restorers, as I stated, is right near you in Fresh
Meadows. The ones I would recommend you contact, are:

Art Shifrin, Fresh Meadows,
NY  mailto:[log in to unmask]  http://www.shifrin.net
Graham Newton, Toronto,
ON  mailto:[log in to unmask]   http://www.audio-restoration.com/
Steve Smolian, Frederick,
MD  mailto:[log in to unmask]  http://www.soundsaver.com/
Eric Jacobs, San Jose, CA mailto:[log in to unmask]
http://www.theaudioarchive.com/

All of these people are familiar with the issues and do as I
understand it world-class restorations.

                    *or*:  UNSUB ARCHIVES