Persons planning new or remodeled archival facilities may want to know about a workshop being offered by the Society of American Archivists at its joint meeting in Washington with NAGARA and COSA on July 30-August 1, 2006.  Ted Ling, author of Solid, Safe, Secure: Building Archives Repositories in Australia and I will co-teach the program.  Further information on the workshop can be found at: http://www.archivists.org/prof-education/workshop-detail.asp?id=1852  The two-day workshop will cover a variety of issues including: the building structure, creating a building program, building technical requirements, working with architects and contractors, renovation versus new construction, equipment, and moving into the new facility.  The workshop will also include exercises and a case study/tour of the NARA’s renovated National Archives building on the mall in Washington.

If you have questions, please e-mail me or Solveig DeSutter ([log in to unmask]) if you have any questions.

Thomas Wilsted

Director

Thomas J. Dodd Research Center

405 Babbidge Road Unit 1205