Greetings all,

I am compiling a list of special collections with volumes of Emanuel
Haldeman Julius’s Little Blue Books and its earlier iterations (the Appeal
Pocket Series, the People’s Pocket Series, the Pocket Series, the Ten-Cent
Pocket Series, and the Five-Cent Pocket Series). If your library holds any
of these books in its special collections and is not mentioned on my list
(included at the bottom of this message), could you please let me know so
that I may add it? Please also tell me if your library should not be on
this list, which I’ve compiled by way of various online search engines.

I intend to publish the annotated list as an appendix to my dissertation,
“Five-Cent Culture at the ‘University in Print’: Popularizing Knowledge,
Democratizing Literature, and Reading Readers in E. Haldeman- Julius’s
Little Blue Books, 1919-1929.” By way of historical context, E. H.-J.
published these books—3.5 x 5 inches, staple-bound, and
paperboard-covered—from 1919 to his death in 1951, and his son published
them sporadically, as well, until the late 1960s. In 1978, the
Haldeman-Julius publishing plant in Girard, Kansas, burned down, taking
with it tons of remaining stock and many of the books’ plates.

I am interested in listing libraries in and outside of the U.S. that have
collections devoted to the Little Blue Books (and/or its earlier
iterations) as well as those that have them listed as part of other
collections (say, of public figures whose personal libraries held LBBs).
I’d also like to add historical society, museum, and other libraries to the
list.

Thanks very much for your assistance.

Melanie Brown
Dept. of English
University of Minnesota

*********************
Partial list of libraries with Little Blue Book holdings:

California State U., Northridge (Oviatt Library)
Grand Valley State U. (Seidman House)
Indiana U., Bloomington (Lilly Library)
Kansas State U. (Morse Dept. of Special Collections)
Kent State U. (printing and publications)
Library of Congress (folklife resources; rare books and special collections)
Northwestern U.
Oberlin College (dime novel collection)
Oklahoma State U. (Edmon Low Library)
Penn State U. (Rare Books and Manuscripts)
Pittsburg State U. (Leonard H. Axe Library)
San Diego State U. (Special Collections and Univesity Archives)
SUNY, Stonybook
Superior Letter Press, Cornucopia, WI
UCLA (Dept. of Special Collections)
U. of Adelaide (miniatures collection)
U. of Arkansas (Popular Culture Special Collections)
U. of Illinois, Chicago (Richard J. Daley Library)
U. of South Florida, Tampa