The donations were indeed donations and signed by donors at the time.   It makes

no difference if groups amend or change their bylaws later.  There is an old legal

axiom that is partly true “possession is nine-tenths of the law.”   But the basis is

real.

If you can also point out that you are providing preservation, access, and availability

to researchers then …. the bylaws were changed out of fear that the history of the

organization was being lost . . . you are wonderfully (and even before such a change)

providing the positive preservation and access today.

The key is to remain positive, focused, upbeat, and happy that these individuals and

organization made such a choice.

Dean

Dean DeBolt

University Librarian, Special Collections

John C. Pace Library, University of West Florida

11000 University Parkway

Pensacola, FL  32514-5750

850-474-2213