Dear Colleagues,

First, I'd like to thank everyone who responded to my earlier query about DACS adoption.  I am still working through the responses, and will submit a report or digest to the Archives list and to the Description Section list when I am finished.  I was heartened by the very strong and prompt response -- many thanks!

Second (and apologies for cross-posting), it is my pleasure to announce this year's theme for the Description Expo (formerly known as the Finding Aids Fair), which is:

WHAT'S UP DACS?SAA Description Expo 2006

As announced in the Winter issue of "Descriptive Notes," the theme for this year's Description Expo (formerly known as the Finding Aids Fair) is "What's Up DACS: Focusing on DACS-Compliant Description."  Please send us your finding aids and catalog records composed using DACS to share with your colleagues.  Along with your descriptive product, please send in a short narrative describing how you implemented DACS.  What was your experience using the new standard?  Where did you follow it, where did you take exception to it?

Please email your submissions to Jane Rosario, Description Section Vice-Chair ([log in to unmask]) by Friday, June 30, 2006.  We hope to have the submissions available electronically at the Description Expo booth in the exhibition hall, but we will also present the submissions in good old paper format. (After the meeting, Description Expo 2006 will be available on the SAA Web site.)

Please let me know if you have any questions, and we look forward to your submissions for Description Expo 2006.

*All credit for this snappy title goes to Waverly Lowell, Environmental Design Archives, UC Berkeley

Sincerely,

Jane Rosario

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jane Rosario
Society of American Archivists
Description Section, Vice Chair/Chair-Elect 2005-2007
Principal Processing Archivist
The Bancroft Library
2121 Allston Way
Berkeley, CA 94720-6000
Phone: 510-642-8175
Fax: 510-643-2548
Email: [log in to unmask]
A posting from the Archives & Archivists LISTSERV List sponsored by the Society of American Archivists, www.archivists.org. For the terms of participation, please refer to http://www.archivists.org/listservs/arch_listserv_terms.asp.