Thanks to all who suggested contacting a welder. We'll try the local phone book. According to the list we found, the contents are various paper documents as well as copies of newspapers and magazines.
-----Original Message-----
From: Jody Georgeson <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: May 24, 2006 10:44 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: opening a welded metal time capsule

A good welder should be able to help you.  They usually have saws, grinders and other equipment available--in addition to flame--to un-weld things.  Be sure to tell them what the contents are and how much heat they can withstand.  (Although the contents have already been exposed to heat if the box was welded shut.)  In the words of my favorite welder, "Anything that's been welded can be unwelded."

Jody

Jody L. Georgeson
The Telecommunications History Group, Inc.
PO Box 8719
Denver, CO 80201

303-296-1221
www.telcomhistory.org