Hello -

A lot of our collection, including letters, furniture, paintings and books,
has been in a 1905 house for 100 years. The house was used as a summer home
for the first 35 years and then had a winter/summer occupant for the next
forty years. For the last 25 years, the house has been heated year round and
the house has no insulation (That is another issue). The question is: After
40-100 years of items living in this environment, do I run any risks placing
them into stable, climate controlled environment? Did documents, books et al
become acclimated to their existing environment, say they same way that a
shipwreck is acclimated to its water environment?

Many thanks,

Brian Knight

Curator

Hildene, the Lincoln Family Home