Hello All!  I've have two questions for you and would certainly appreciate your suggestions.

One of the professors on campus agreed to house legal documents regarding a migrant worker lawsuit from the plaintiffs' lawyer. The workers were successful in their action and the case has closed.  While I was out ill last year, the library subsequently agreed to house the documents in the archives, so that students could use them in various projects designated by the history department.  The documents have never been evaluated by a lawyer, as to what can be legally opened for research and what cannot.  I have some legal background, but really feel that a lawyer should basically "sign off" on which documents should remain confidential.  What is your opinion?

Also, another department wants to translate and transcribe oral histories taken of the migrant workers and donate them to the archives.  In light of the Bancroft issue, I am a little leery of taking on oral histories taken by someone else, when I don't have the time to review the transcripts.  I am sure that it can be assumed that some disparaging remarks will be found in the interviews.  It is a terrific project, though, on so many realms.  Do you think I am being a little too safe?? I am torn.

Thanks!
Evelyn

Evelyn Taylor, University Archivist
Cal. State Univ., Channel Islands