A few key archivists could make a critical difference in restoring funding to NHPRC and providing support for the National Archives' budget.  We need calls to Representatives working NARA's budget AS SOON AS POSSIBLE THIS WEEK.

The following states have representatives on the House Appropriations subcommittee responsible for marking up NARA's budget.  If you have a personal relationship with one of these individuals, now would be the time to make a call or send a fax with words of support for these programs.  The subcommittee has received a fair amount of support already, and we've been advised that a flood of contacts might be more annoying than helpful.  But, if one of the following individuals is from your district -- and more importantly, if you have a personal relationship with one of them -- a contact would be helpful.

Alabama (Aderholt)            Michigan (Kilpatrick)
Arizona (Pastor)                New Jersey (Rothman)
Kansas (Tiahrt)                  New York (Sweeney)
Kentucky (Rogers)             Ohio (Regula)
Maryland (Hoyer)               South Carolina (Clyburn)
Massachusetts (Olver)        Texas (Culberson)
                                         Virginia (Wolf)

The Society of American Archivists is encouraging Congress to fund NHPRC at its fully authorized amount ($10 million for grants plus $2 million for administration), plus we are encouraging that they provide NHPRC.  We hope that Congress will provide an additional $10 million for the Partnership for the American Historical Record, a new grants program for records preservation in every state -- something the hurricanes last summer demonstrate is desparately needed.

Call or fax (numbers below).  Letters are too slow.  Ask to speak to the staff member responsible for budget matters.  Introduce yourself, tell the person your are calling to encouage the representative to support full funding for NHPRC and PAHR, which is being heard in the T-THUD Subcommittee (it's Washington, so you can use the acronym, but fyi the full name is Treasury, Transportation, HUD, the Judiciary."  You'll probably have to tell people in a sentence what those programs are: "These programs provide grants for historical records programs throughout the country.  They are invaluable for helping small organizations leverage local dollars for protecting records that prove individuals' rights and entitlements and document our history."  If you've received a grant or know of an good example of an NHPRC grant, mention the example.

These folks are busy.  Think in advance what you're going to say -- jot down bullet points.  Be courteous; "I'd like to let representative so-and-so know how important we think the NHPRC is.  If you have just a minute, I'd like to tell you about a couple of programs that have made a real difference here in [district or state]."

Be sure to thank them for their time.  The basic principle is, You draw more bees with honey than vinegar."

If you need additional information on NHPRC or PAHR, see
www.savearchives.pbwiki.com

-- Richard Pearce-Moses
-- President, Society of American Archivists, 2005-2006

Contact information for T-THUD members

HOUSE APPROPRIATIONS COMMITTEE
Subcommitee on Transportation, Treasury , and Housing and Urban Development, The Judiciary, District of Columbia

Majority members

Joe Knollenberg, MI, R, Chairman
2349 Rayburn House Office Building
Phone:  202-225-5802