Greetings:

I am a new subscriber, and while not technically an archivist, am probably
the only person at my newspaper who regularly/frequently accesses the
130-plus years of newspapers we have on microfilm in our "morgue."

Last week, I met with our publisher, editor and several managers to convince
them of the need to digitally archive the newspapers we now have A) on
microfilm and B) moldering in the basement. They recognize the need to
preserve these but balked at my suggestion that we secure a digital
microform scanner to begin this work. They wonder whether or not some other
paper might have pioneered a way to tackle this task or whether it might be
"jobbed out." We also would like to have some way to search through the
final scanned text, though of course I realize this would be wholly
dependent on the quality of the original printed paper. I can assure you
this was sometimes of good quality, but often lamentable.

Any suggestions as to what course to follow would be most welcome!

John Andrew Prime
Military Affairs Reporter
The Times At Shreveport
A Gannett Newspaper
222 Lake Street
Shreveport, Louisiana
71130-0222
(800) 462-6436 WATS VOX
(318) 459-3233 VOX
(318) 459-3301 FAX
Co-author of "Barksdale Air Force Base," 2002, Arcadia Publishing, now in
its third printing

Web site: www.shreveporttimes.com

The information in this E-Mail is private & confidential and for the
recipient(s) only. This information cannot be conveyed, reproduced or copied
unless permission has been given by Gannett River States Publishing d.b.a.
The Times.