This didn't get through the first time.
Dave

----- Original Message -----
From: Dave Trippel
To: Alcohol and Drugs History Society
Sent: Friday, June 02, 2006 10:41 AM
Subject: Re: liquor as white privilege

Ida B. Wells had some disagreements with Francis E. Willard that evoke some views of those times. Here's the link and the paragraph with Willard's quotes.

http://www.learntoquestion.com/seevak/groups/2002/sites/wells/strugglescourageoverseas.htm

"Ida never hid from the public her opinions of Willard, whom she stated maintained her high upstanding in society by catering to wealthy whites who were prejudiced against blacks. Ida cited an interview Willard had done in which she claimed, "The colored race multiplies like the locusts of Egypt. The grog-shop is its source of power. Better whiskey and more of it' has been the rallying cry of great dark-faced mobs in the Southern localities where local option was snowed under by the colored vote." Willard had even gone so far as to suggest that blacks were out of control criminals, saying, "The safety of women, of children, of the home is menaced in a thousand localities at this moment, so men dare not go beyond the sight of their own roof-tree." Brazenly, Ida had Willard's interview published in the Society's journal, the Fraternity. When the article came out Willard and her sponsor, Lady Isabel Somerset, were enraged and lashed back out at Ida. As a result, the rest of Ida's trip was hampered by the battle that raged between the two parties. Still, the fact that Ida was even able to hold her own against Willard was in fact remarkable, since Willard had been highly esteemed by England, whereas Ida was seen by some critical newspapers as an annoying firebrand involved in matters way over her head."

Nonetheless, even today, I think the US Capitol building still displays a full figure statue of Willard.

Dave