From: Archives & Archivists [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Roy Webb
Sent: Friday, June 02, 2006 11:56 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Logbooks in National Parks

"While hiking on Guadalupe Peak last week, a fellow hiker asked me what
the National Park Service does with the log book at the top of the
mountain.  Does anyone know the retention of these log books and where
they are stored? "

There was an article about this in the Sierra Club magazine a couple of
years ago, about the ones on top of the  peaks in the Sierras.  They had
signatures from Royal Robbins, David Brower, many other famous (in that
world) mountaineers, but they were disappearing so the Sierra Club (I
think; memory is hazy on this) had started to take them down and deposit
them with their archives in Berkeley.

I don't know if SIERRA is available on their website but I do remember
the article because I wrote them to say that we had logbooks (which is
hardly the term for slips of paper, menus, little notebooks, etc) that
had once been in Music Temple in Glen Canyon.  When Lake Powell started
to fill in, river runners took the logs from there and they eventually
ended up in our archives.  Acting on a sudden inspiration, I had them
digitized and we posted them on our website at:

http://www.lib.utah.edu/digital/musictemple/index.html

You can browse or search them; it's a great donor relations tool, when
someone talks to me about Glen Canyon I always ask if they stopped in
Music Temple, and nine times out of ten they can find their names.   In
a similar vein, the logbooks for Rainbow Bridge, which go back to the
19-teens, I think, are held by the NPS at the Glen Canyon NRA HQ in
Wahweap, Arizona.

Roy Webb, C.A.
Multimedia Archivist
Special Collections
J. Willard Marriott Library
295 South 1500 East
University of Utah
Salt Lake City, Utah  84112
office: (801) 585-3073
FAX: (801) 585-3976
http://www.lib.utah.edu/spc/photo

Society of American Archivists, www.archivists.org.
For the terms of participation, please refer to

                    *or*:  UNSUB ARCHIVES