There was an AP story in today's Salt Lake TRIBUNE about the Anderson
papers, but there was also this brief item about a UofU political
science prof who worked on the papers and now says "Anderson-related
documents" have been removed from files in the National Archives.

6/7/06

U. political scientist calls probe 'fishing expedition'
The Salt Lake Tribune

University of Utah political scientist Tim Chambless, who years ago
cataloged 85 boxes of Jack Anderson's papers for use in his research,
calls the FBI's demands "a fishing expedition-." The documents he
reviewed included some that "were politically embarrassing to a few
people." But he said, "There was nothing in there with regard to
national security." Chambless also wonders how much trolling the
government has done in Anderson-related documents that had been in the
public domain. When he was in Maryland recently, Chambless spent two
days at the National Archives looking through declassified documents
dealing with Anderson. He said he was concerned to find a number that
had been removed from the file. "No reason was given as to why the
documents were pulled, no date was given as to when they were pulled or
by what agency or individual. This is very troubling to me," Chambless
said Tuesday. "I asked specifically [who removed the documents], and
that information was not provided to me." He declined to speculate
whether the missing papers were part of a seven-year-old secret program,
disclosed in news reports earlier this year, to reclassify thousands of
documents at the National Archives. The New York Times reported the
effort by the CIA and five other agencies had removed from public access
more than 55,000 previously declassified pages. - Robert Gehrke

Roy Webb, C.A.
Multimedia Archivist
Special Collections
J. Willard Marriott Library