I pretty much did get my MLS and "hang out my shingle as an archivist."  My
library school didn't offer an Archives track at the time.  I took what
classes I could and got some work experience which got me my current job.

In answer to the almost daily, "What is an archivist?" Sometimes I answer
"a type of specialized librarian"  Is this strictly true, well...sort of,
not really, kinda, it depends... Sometimes I call myself a cross between a
historian and a librarian.  Sometimes I give the whole ten minute long,
"Have you ever heard of the National Archives?  Well then......." spiel.
But people understand libraries. They know what librarians do.  To say, "I
do that but with unpublished, unique materials" helps them to figure it out
a little.

I'm proud of my library degree.  I like wearing my Unshelved Library raid
hat.  My archives is in a library.  I enjoy belonging to a enormous union
of people who do things like help Toronto out during SARS and contribute to
revitalizing New Orleans by bringing thousands in for a conference.  People
who fight for the public's access to information.  That's pretty much in
line with we do after all, isn't it?  And I have to say as a Lone Arranger
type my library school reference classes on how to deal with the public,
how to conduct a reference interview, and even the ridiculous sounding
"open face" are things I do every day in my job as an archivist.

Jen Clark