I think that part of the problem with the archival profession is one of
definition.  A lot of "archivists" actually work in "manuscript
repositories"; in other words, they are not working exclusively with the
non-current permanently valuable records of the greater organization
that employs them.  This has certainly been the situation in my career
working in academic libraries.

As far as the MLS degree and its value in doing the work is concerned, I
cannot give a reasoned opinion because I have not been in a library
school since 1990.  From what I gather by talking to recent hires on our
library faculty, the entire structure of graduate education for
librarians has changed dramatically over the last decade.  It appears
the emphasis is no longer on learning primarily how to "run a library"
as it is "how to manage information."

This topic comes up every so often on this list, and unlike some of the
other returns, never fails to bring a lot of chatter.  I find it
interesting.

Kim Allen Scott
Montana State University, Bozeman