From: "Chris M. Garmire" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARCHIVES] degree requirements are good and necessary
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 13:17:20 -0600

I wasn't even following this discussion, but when I read this post I had
to reply.  As one of the few archivists who has a law degree (a choice
which should question my sanity), I have to say this comment is a bit
off.  First of all, in California, you have to pass the 1st year bar if
you go the route of Judge's chambers or an unaccredited law school.
More people have figured out our foreign policy in Iraq than have passed
that test. Even if you do pass, and then manage to pass the Bar (also a
very low percentage), good luck finding a job.  People with JD's without
good enough grades find it hard to find employment.  You can go ahead
and hang out the shingle, but as one poster said, good luck finding any
clients.

I'm the first one who would welcome the elimination of graduate degrees
from alot of professions.  It would save the next 40 years paying off
loans.  Then again, we could deliver mail by pony express too.  Being
forced to sit down, read, and listen to an experienced instructor never
hurt anyone.

Chris Garmire