Hello everyone,

My apologies for the bad example.  44k a year sounds much more
appropriate, given the required qualifications.

Thanks to everyone who emailed me both on and off the list.

One person wrote:

I feel that the more training and education we as professionals get,
the better we are able to perform our jobs.  Because this training
may not have been available in the past, does not mean that it is not
needed.  I would venture to guess that those early archivists,
librarians, and curators would have loved to receive the education
available to us now.  I supposed that's why they came up with the
various courses we now have.

I reply:

I guess my question is this:  Must that education and training come
in the form of advanced degrees at expensive universities, or could
it come from the within the work environment, study on one's own, and
at conferences?

We have become a society that demands more and more formalized
credentials for obtaining entry level employment.  If we really want
to demand a level of demonstrated competency, then why not simply
require passing a test, similar to the bar exam?  This would allow
bright and dedicated college graduates to study on their own, work
within the field, and develop competency through hands on experience.

Another person wrote:

Amen to that. How about that job a while back asking for one Masters,
a second preferred, mastery of a foreign language - all this for
$28k? Hey what a bargain for the employer!
....I believe we should call a one day general strike of archivists
and publicize it to call attention to salaries of those who preserve
our heritage.

I reply:

A strike...hmmm.  Who is John Galt?

Cheers,