I find all this very interesting..
I recall being in Library school( not so long ago  and was asked to do  the
original cataloguing on a book I personally owned..  When I did, I was  laughed
out of the class as the illustrious professor(who could not find a card
catalogue in her own Library with two Hand) (( there is a better analogy that I
should like to use)) nearly failed me as she could not believe anyone in "her"
class would possibly own a 17th Century imprint..
 In addition, I worked at an institution Old and Respected... that  hired a
degreed "trained archivist" .. she succeed in  5 years  destroying the
manuscript collection that had been collected over then 160  years. She became known
as the "white out woman"  if she did not think the  location or cataloguing was
up to standard she just white outed the card in the  catalogue changing the
description/locations and then just tossed away the other  old card that didn't
mean anything... thus the phrase...
A LITTLE KNOWLEDGE IS A DANGEROUS THING...... I'd hire the person with the
experience before the candidate that does not know what a tracing or date card
file is...
Ah retirement  how sweet... Steve