Ok, ok....so you know my Latin isn't up to snuff either....

We probably, as a profession, ought to spend more time selling people on
the value of the work we do, rather than trying to sell each other on
the value of our education (or our educational program, if we are
fishing for students).

The bottom line is that the service we provide is used by so few people
when compared to those other professions, like doctors, lawyers, and
(gasp) librarians.  Since our customer base is so small, we have a
larger responsibility of convincing the masses who will never darken our
doors that it is a good idea to keep paying us.

Kim Allen Scott

Montana State University, Bozeman

Society of American Archivists, www.archivists.org. For the terms of
participation, please refer to

In body of message: SUB ARCHIVES firstname lastname *or*: UNSUB ARCHIVES