I find all this very interesting..
I recall being in Library school( not so long ago  and was asked to do the original cataloguing on a book I personally owned..  When I did, I was laughed out of the class as the illustrious professor(who could not find a card catalogue in her own Library with two Hand) (( there is a better analogy that I should like to use)) nearly failed me as she could not believe anyone in "her" class would possibly own a 17th Century imprint..
 In addition, I worked at an institution Old and Respected... that hired a degreed "trained archivist" .. she succeed in  5 years destroying the manuscript collection that had been collected over then 160 years. She became known as the "white out woman"  if she did not think the location or cataloguing was up to standard she just white outed the card in the catalogue changing the description/locations and then just tossed away the other old card that didn't mean anything... thus the phrase...
A LITTLE KNOWLEDGE IS A DANGEROUS THING...... I'd hire the person with the experience before the candidate that does not know what a tracing or date card file is...
Ah retirement  how sweet... Steve
A posting from the Archives & Archivists LISTSERV List sponsored by the Society of American Archivists, www.archivists.org. For the terms of participation, please refer to http://www.archivists.org/listservs/arch_listserv_terms.asp.