> has stated
> that "I am a private collector who's hit a goldmine of shots in the
> university archive circuit."

That alone makes me question his motives, especially since the photos do
not legally belong to him. Is he looking to cobble together photos from
these various archives, then sell them for a tidy sum? Something like that
could come back to hurt you and all the institutions which have done
business with him.

> However, in my dealings the patron has been
> somewhat unreasonable by expecting us to scan and print 120 images at a
> reduced rate (normal rate would equal $20 per image) and all at once (our
> policy states that we will scan 10 images per month per patron).

More then somewhat. He's been VERY unreasonable. I agree with those who
have said stick to your policy. You might want to revisit the wording of
your policy concerning large photo orders so that there isn't any language
in it that implies a discount that you don't intend to give.

> Upon contacting those institutions I discovered
> that $10 was the normal rate at one repository and the
> other gave reduced rates that exceeded $10.

Speaking of questionable ethics ... The user is saying whatever he has to
in order to get what he wants. Don't reward him for it.

I don't think you need to post a warning - you've already told us enough
about what this patron is doing that the C&U folks will know to keep an
eye out for someone matching his description (sorry ... didn't mean to
sound like a police report ...)

Carole Prietto
Daughters of Charity, St. Louis