Re:
.."Because there is no universal mandate about what must preserved and for what purpose (for example, an archivist's emphasis on records that bear evidence vs. a librarian's emphasis on content that could serve multiple purposes over time)..."

I would just like to comment that while archivists are indeed interested in "records that bear evidence" we are just as interested in--and take into account during appraisal--  records that serve a purpose beyond what their originator intended--they do "serve multiple purposes over time."  The identification and preservation of records that meet these multiple puposes, I think, is just one of the shining and wonderful things archivists do for posterity, and I personally am tired of hearing how the expressed perception of archives and archivists implies that what we do has limited value compared to a library (or a librarian) for that matter.

I agree with Elizabeth Fairfax that records serve a purpose beyond what their originators intended;  and in addition, there is another aspect to serving multiple purposes over time.  Over the last couple years I have seen quite a few posts on this list that take a high-handed approach to preservation of records, and place it second to user's needs (implied: PRESENT users' needs).  I think we need to keep overarching archival criteria in place and have some understanding of the long-term use of archival documentation.  This doesn't mean only saving what is "fashionable" to talk about now - look at a complete run of the American Archivist and you will see that (as in any other area of human endeavor) topics run in waves.  People talk about something for 10 or 15 years and then new topic trends come into play.  We have a responsiblity to the users of tomorrow (in the broadest sense), as well as whoever happens to be trotting into the archives or hitting on the website to use our materials today.  There may be something we can't use today which will be invaluable tomorrow.

An example (just to pick one) is medically-related records which are totally off limits today because of HIPPAA and so forth.  I remember a fairly recent posting which suggested that since we are here to "serve our users," these are useless because "users" don't have access to them [right now].  My answer was that these need to be saved regardless of what we think about utility in the present.  They are unique and have information that could be extremely valuable, notwithstanding that they are closed at the moment.  What a short-sighted suggestion to get rid of them!  I see this train of thought again and again.  I think we need to remember that things are not always going to be as they are.  Also, we are the institutional, and societal, memory.  Perhaps someone in the future can use the records in ways we haven't yet thought of??  What a novel idea.  Sometimes a little more weight needs to go on the preservation side, whether or not the documentation appears to be easy to use at the moment.  This is where the overarching archival criteria are necessary.  Theory may not be interesting to a lot of information professionals, but we need it to temper our tendencies to go with the flow of the moment, and to provide a framework into which we can put our decisions (in this case appraisal).  Of course it can be tweaked somewhat to fit individual circumstances,  but I think at this point there needs to be more longitudinal thinking.   It has been abandoned by the rest of society (each one of us take a look at our own institution or organization), and it is important that we be able to provide it by taking the long view.  Our documentation will "serve multiple purposes over time,"  and we, of all people, need to be less myopic about this.    Now I am jumping off the soapbox.  Have a great weekend!!

Fred Lautzenheiser
Cleveland Clinic Archives
tel: 216/444-2929
fax: 216/445-6868

Visit us online at our award-winning http://www.clevelandclinic.org for a complete listing of Cleveland Clinic services, staff and locations from one of the country's leading hospitals.

Confidentiality Note: This message is intended for use only by the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy. Thank you.