I have been lurking in the background following the education discussion.  The Potomac School just celebrated it’s centennial.  The archives were the source for much of the history, photos, and artifacts that were used for the celebrations and written stories that appeared in various publications.

We don’t have a position of archivist at the school.  The archives are part of the development office where the primary use is by the Director of Alumni  Relations. The librarians in the school’s 3 libraries are not archivists and have no training in archival methods. The current filing was started by parent volunteers with some staff assistance.  I am a past parent volunteering my time and acting as the archivist (as my retirement job).  My “formal” training is the on-line course offered by the AASLH.  The internet, this list, some local archivists, and the staff at Past Perfect are my sources for answers.

I think there are many small institutions that have an archives, but will never have a formally trained archivist.  These are probably not full time positions and volunteers may be the only staff.  In fact, I bet there are more “archivists” of this type than those who get an MLIS and other higher ed. archivist training.

How can this group  get the basic training that doesn’t  require enrolling in college?
The needs are pratical and not theoritical.

Doug Ayers
The Potomac School
1301 Potomac School Road
McLean, VA 22101

703-882-2220
A posting from the Archives & Archivists LISTSERV List sponsored by the Society of American Archivists, www.archivists.org. For the terms of participation, please refer to http://www.archivists.org/listservs/arch_listserv_terms.asp.