Someone just told me that Europe "closes" for the entire month of August every year. While grocery stores remain open, businesses, museums, tourist attarctions all sort of close up shop.

  Is this true? If yes, what about archives? and why?

  I know we have some European archivists on the list and probably some savvy travelers. Care to enlighten me?

  Thanks,

  Althea