Re: Ethics issue

Hi Chuck:

Most everyone handling rights and reproduction requests has experienced researchers with questionable motives, so I doubt a general warning is in order. If theft, copyright infringement, vandalism, or threats to the staff were involved then I'd reconsider. (Only untrue statements are libelous.)

Our first responsibility as professionals is to our collections. Second is to our researchers, but only if their needs do not violate our primary duty. As archivists, we ensure that our collections are accessible to both the person standing in front of us as well as the one who has yet to be born.

Jeff

Jeffrey V. Moy, Archivist
The Newark Museum
49 Washington Street