Good Wednesday, everyone!

I have been a bit hesitant about posting a specifically targeted reference
question to the list, but, honestly, I am stumped by this and hope someone
out there has some useful information.

Specifically, I have been contacted by a patron who believes that he has
a "lost archive" of an artist named Cooper Nott Lansing's drawings. The
patron further thinks that at least some of this art represents iconic
and/or popular cartoon characters of the early- to mid-twentieth century
(such as Popeye, Mutt and Jeff, etc.) Obvious, the patron needs a "good"
appraisal performed, but there seems so little information on Lansing that
I'm stumped where to refer him. (I've checked with the Michigan State
University Comic Art Collection as well as a number of local and national
art and other repositories [and this list's archives, of course], but have
had no luck.)

Incidentally, Lansing lived in upstate New York between 1867-1927. The
family may (or may not) be somehow related to James Fenimore Cooper and
may (or may not) be associated with Utica College and/or Lansing,
Michigan. It sounds to me like the patron has been in touch with quite a
number of institutions for information on this question, so if anyone is
familiar with the research -- or if anyone has any ideas whatsoever --
please feel free to contact me personally.

Thank you very, very much for any input on this!

-Dan

Daniel DiLandro
College Archivist and Special Collections Librarian
E.H. Butler Library 135
1300 Elmwood Ave.
Buffalo, NY  14222
p: 716/878-6308