From: Archives & Archivists [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Schmid, Christine
Sent: Thursday, June 29, 2006 12:15 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Wood/carpet off-gassing

Can anyone give me specifics about the effects on archival materials of carpet and/or wood off-gassing/out-gassing?  Lots of folks are willing to say that volatile organic compounds in the carpet or wood will damage paper, but not for how long after the carpet or furniture is installed.  Information about mitigation would be welcome, too.  Many thanks!

Christine A. Schmid
Associate Archivist
The Jacob Rader Marcus Center of American Jewish Archives
3101 Clifton Avenue
Cincinnati, OH 45220
513-221-7444 x3319
513-221-7812 (fax)