Many thanks, Russell, your thoughtfulness is appreciated!  I have to say, it was wonderful to wake up and see the sun shining yesterday morning!

My local papers (Washington Post, Washington Times) mostly focus on the National Archives and the way it is cleaning up.  See http://www.washtimes.com/metro/20060628-110419-3919r.htm for the story in today's WT; unfortunately, it doesn't include the photo of the National Archives that is on the front page of today's print edition.

If anyone has seen stories in other Northeastern newspapers about archival or cultural institutions affected by the flooding, do let us know.  Of course, I'm sure Peter will be sending out a a good, comprehensive, ahem, RAIN, listing on the weekend!

Maarja

>>> Russell Baker <[log in to unmask]> 6/29/2006 10:06:56 AM >>>
Dear Colleagues:

I have been watching with horror the rise of the floodwaters in
Washington, DC and in the eastern states. I fear that this means an
other round of loss of life, homes, livelihoods, as well as cultural and
family treasures, public records, and business records. I hope it will
not be as severe a loss as we suffered last year here in the South. Our
hearts down here go out to you up there. Let us know how we can help.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Russell P. Baker, CA

Archival Manager

Arkansas History Commission and State Archives

One Capitol Mall

Little Rock, AR 72201

501-682-6900

www.ark-ives.com

This electronic message transmission contains information from the
Arkansas History Commission and State Archives and may be confidential
or privileged. The information is intended to be for the use of the
individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient,
be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the
contents of this information is prohibited. If you have received this
electronic transmission in error, please notify us by telephone
(501-682-6900)  immediately.

                    *or*:  UNSUB ARCHIVES