Tanya and others -
Yes, this is known as Competitive Sourcing.
If a position is deemed inherently governmental, then it is not competed.
If a position is deemed inherently commercial, then your group has to bid for its job.
There has to be at least a 10% savings from present costs in order for a commercial firm to be awarded the job.
I believe the federal workers also have dibs on any vacancies in the commercial firm that gets their job.

here is the link that will explain more:
http://www.whitehouse.gov/OMB/procurement/comp_sourcing_072403.pdf

Jill L Schneider
USGS-Alaska Technical Data Unit
4200 University Drive
Anchorage AK 99508
907-786-7457
minerals.usgs.gov/west/alaska.shtml

"Honor the Past, Enrich the Present, Protect the Future"

Tanya Elder <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: Archives & Archivists <[log in to unmask]>

06/01/2006 01:12 PM

Please respond to
Tanya Elder <[log in to unmask]>

cc
Subject
IRS Archives loses bid to control its archives?

I was looking at the blog site Boing Boing which led to the site The
Consumerist and an article from an anonymous IRS insider. Since it's
anonymous and in the land of blogs, I just thought I'd pass it along.
Please don't shoot the messenger.

Anybody know anything about this?

BREAKING: IRS Archive Control Sold to Lowest Bidder
An anonymous tipster writes that the IRS lost a bid yesterday and its
archives will now be controlled by a company in Florida.
http://www.consumerist.com/consumer/irs/breaking-irs-archive-control-sold
-
to-lowest-bidder-177771.php

     In body of message:  SUB ARCHIVES firstname lastname
                   *or*:  UNSUB ARCHIVES

Problems?  Send e-mail to Robert F Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>