"'Rubber', through common usage, has become a generic term. It covers a
multitude of different elastomers, natural and the synthetics, with
different additives included for specific purposes, and with no obvious way,
short of analysis, of distinguishing between either the additives or
elastomers used." from
http://www.bouncing-balls.com/chemistry_tech_conservation/conserve.htm

A brief search, both of my *Conservation Concerns* guide and Google, turns
up nothing about containers.  If you get other answers, I'd like to know
what they are.  According to this and

http://www.si.edu/SCMRE/takingcare/rubber.htm

the worst enemy of rubber is oxidation, with crystallization running a close
second.  The latter site says that crystallization is accelerated by cold
but can be reversed through bringing up to room temperature.

It sounds as if the best container would be the one that allows the least
oxygen to penetrate.  Perhaps individual Tyvek envelopes with the air
pressed out of them, sealed or tied shut (with periodic monitoring)?

Arel
(the usual disclaimers)
Arel Lucas
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Prescott Campus