The PRONOM project gives specifics re care, handling, and storage
environment of CDs and other removable media.  See
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/pronom/about.htm.

Briefly, cases should be of inert polyester that does not release chemicals
that could damage the media; they prefer rigid cases.  Store vertically.

Some IT archivists maintain that CDs should be stored in Tyvek envelopes,
then inside acid free, archival CD boxes.

Either way, temperature, humidity, quality of CD are equally, if not more
important, than the CD container.  See this Kodak link for more information
regarding composition of disks:
http://www.kmpmedia.com/news/KMPMEDIA-news2.html.  See Charles M. Dollar,
Authentic Electronic Records: Strategies for Long-Term Access for storage
environment comparisons.

Regards,

Nancy

Nancy Adgent