We are setting up a Windows XP computer workstation for our reading room that will hold use copies of accessioned electronic records and digitized paper-based material. These materials cannot be posted online due to copyright issues. To prevent unauthorized digital copying, the CPU will sit in a locked cabinet and the computer will not be networked. We are still exploring methods to prevent accidental or intentional file alterations caused by researchers (short of re-loading the digital content by staff after each use). Initially some of the digital materials will be accessed through a searchable browser-type interface, while others will be accessed through a rudimentary file directory system. There will be thousands of files stored on the hard drive, so we need a global way to manage them as "read only," plus the capability to periodically add new content. We have found that managing user and administrative settings with the existing Windows software only prevents users from altering program files, not data files. Our IT staff does not seem able to help us. (Of course, we have separate, networked workstations for our researchers to access online resources.)

-Have other archives set up stand-alone workstations that allow users to view and search, but not alter, data files?
-Can you share with us how you set up your workstation and managed the content?
-What file management software do you use for the workstation?
-Are there other things we should be considering as we establish this researcher workstation, and maintain it over time?

Please respond off list.

Thank you,
Lisa

Lisa K. Miller