After much study of Chap. 14 of DACS....I'm still confused.

Hoping someone can provide me with some advice or assistance.

There's multiple issues involved.
The item is a "scrapbook"-type compilation of student essays from a single class at a Nashville public school. It's a unique product of this one particular class, so it seems the teacher is important to include, not just leaving it at "6th grade class". And for that matter, inclusion of the term "class" and not just ending at "6th grade" - since for all we know it was an assignment unique to this teacher.

They've given the compilation a formal title, so I'm using that as my collection title, but I'm having great difficulty settling on the proper format for authorship.

Hoping someone can provide some insight or guidance.

Here's what I'm leaning towards at the moment:

110 2_ Hattie Cotton School (Nashville, Tenn.)$b6th grade class.$bMiss Irene Spivey,$eteacher

BUT----
Then I begin to wonder:
1) It's a public school - should the government name be included as the first element as a jurisdiction name?
[I think under 14.17A it's OK to begin w/the school name]

2) Name of school - Should designations like "Elementary" or "High" be used when naming schools - esp. if through the years the school has changed?
[Haven't found anything on this, really, except DACS 2.3.17, which still really doesn't tell me what to do if the materials call it Hattie Cotton School...during the time it was an elementary school, for instance.]

3) Hattie Cotton and 6th grade class are more generic and "standard" corporate names....but Miss Spivey the teacher is so very specific. The rules for government officials DACS 14.20 first seem to be too "higher up" for someone at this low of a level in government...but if I was to use this as a model anyway.....I think I'd end up with something like:
110 2_ Hattie Cotton School (Nashville, Tenn.)$b6th grade class.$bTeacher (1954: Miss Irene Spivey).

4)As yet another alternative, looking at Bib Standards, there's also a $g subfield option for "miscellaneous", so it could also go:
110 2_ Hattie Cotton School (Nashville, Tenn.)$b6th grade.$gMiss Irene Spivey's class.
I'm not sure I like using a possessive - that seems very foreign, but at least this way subfields $a and $b are genuinely corporate names - and $g is not.

Whew! Anyone have any thoughts/ideas/opinions/suggestions on something like this? Is one of these examples "more correct" or "more acceptable/standard" than the others?

Any insight much appreciated!!!

Linda Barnickel

Nashville Room
Nashville Public Library